Museum search

Tinglado 4

Photograph of the former Archaeological Museum of Tarragona

Photograph of the former Archaeological Museum of Tarragona

Photograph of the former Archaeological Museum of Tarragona

View of the former Archaeological Museum of Tarragona in 1908, in the building now housing the city hall in the Plaça de la Font. In 1960 it was transferred to the building at Plaça del Rei, a purpose-built museum incorporating a stretch of the Roman wall.

Although some of the pieces that currently form part of the museum’s collections have been known since the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centúries, the majority of the collection comes from finds made in the past fifty years, as a result of the construction of the modern port and the extraordinary urban growth of Tarragona.

scroll to top icon