For centuries, the river current in Aran and the rest of the Pyrenees has been the main source of energy that has driven flour mills, saw mills and wool mills. We know of the existence of flour mills in Aran since the Middle Ages. These were communally-owned mills that supplied flour to the villagers.
Since 2003, the Mòla de Salardú has been one of the museums in the Val d’Aran. This old flour mill is first documented in 1613 and was in operation until the end of the Spanish Civil War. La Mòla represents the prototype of the Aran mill: a small-sized construction on one level built in the same materials used in local architecture: granite, wood and slate. In its restoration, a large part of the structure, objects and original surroundings of the building were preserved.