The old Sant Cugat d’Octavià monastery, inaugurated in 2003, is the main and most emblematic site of the Museums of Sant Cugat.
The cloister and the old monastic outbuildings host a permanent exhibition that explains the foundation of the monastery, the life of the monks, the architectural evolution of the monumental complex, and more.
The monastery’s foundation dates back to the 9th century, in the context of Benedictine monasticism’s expansion, which took place in the Catalan counties driven by the Frankish monarchy.
During the 10th and 11th centuries, the community of Sant Cugat experienced remarkable growth, becoming the most powerful monastery in the county of Barcelona. It was declared a Cultural Asset of National Interest in 1931.
From its foundation to the present day, the monastery has been the object of successive architectural transformations. Noteworthy among them are its Romanesque cloister, with 144 original capitals, and the abbey church, where you can observe the transition from the Romanesque to Gothic style.
The first Sunday of every month, 11 am. Free guided tour of the permanent exhibition
Guided tours and audio guides: www.visitsantcugat.cat
Tuesdays to Saturday, 10.30 am to 1.30 pm and 4 pm to 7 pm
(from 1 June to 30 September: 10.30 am to 1.30 pm and 5 pm to 8 pm)
Sundays and public holidays: 10.30 am to 12.30 pm
Mondays (non-public holidays): Closed
1 and 6 January; 25 and 26 December: Closed
Church visiting times:
10 am to 12 pm and 6 pm to 8 pm
By public transport: