The signal box was built in 1928 to replace an earlier one dating from 1891. Today the building is the entrance to the Móra la Nova Railway Interpretation Centre with the reception and shop on the ground floor. This was the first signal box in Spain and one of the first in Europe to have the new electromechanical switching system built by the American General Railway Signal Company. It was in use until 1981. In 2003 Móra la Nova town council declared it an Asset of Local Cultural Interest (BCIL), as it is one the few signal boxes left in Catalonia. The building has now been restored and turned into a museum. The upper floors house a permanent exhibition on how rail traffic has been controlled throughout the history of the railways.