Impressionist painters were particularly attracted to the idea of doing portraits of each other.
The friendship between Rusiñol and Casas took them to the Cerdanya region in the summer of 1890. On this trip they did this work, signed by both of them.
This was not the first time they had portrayed each other, though they had always done so separately, making this work their only collaborative piece.
In the foreground we see Rusiñol, while Casas is seated further back. The subjects are seated in the shade, out of the light, which can only be seen on the brightly lit wall beyond them.