The initial project was for four long galleries which terminated in a series of cross galleries. The shelter was planned to have capacity for 2,700 people.
Work started on the 30th October 1937 and continued until August 1938, but could not be finished according to the plans. The cross galleries were never dug, nor were the areas intended for sick bays and services. This meant that the final capacity was no more than 1,218 people. Even so, it was the city’s third largest shelter.
It had five public entrances, along with four private doors with their corresponding access galleries. It is the only public shelter in the city which can be visited today, thanks to a new access point opened during the construction of the Civic Centre in the Carme district.