After Ignatius Loyola’s sojourn in Manresa, people began to see the cave where Ignatius retreated to pray and write as a place of worship. The Jesuit order has been constructing buildings in that site since the early 17th century.
In the 16th century, the Capuchins had built their convent in the lands near these rock shelters. A conflict arose between the two orders over which cave the saint had actually occupied.
This drawing from 1731 reproduces the two convents and the relationship between them on those lands.