The first loom came to Calella in 1767, when the textile boom was at its height. The town came to specialise in textiles, especially knitwear. There were already over two hundred such looms devoted to the creation of silk and cotton stockings by the end of the 18th century.
The Museum exhibits collections that reflect this textile past, with dresses, chasubles, stoles, embroidery, laces and bobbin lace donated by local families. The collections include a selection of well-preserved dresses from the 18th to the 20th centuries, jackets for adults and children from the 18th century and even a leather doll from the 19th century. The 19th century has also left us beautiful embroidered bedsheets, a handmade Manila shawl and a bridal gown. Visitors may also see the cushions used by the lacemakers in their work. There are also old magazines with advertisements for the garments made. A yellow silk bodice from 1719 and a velvet waistcoat from 1799 are among the oldest items in the collection.