Monastery of Sant Esteve de Banyoles

The Church

View of the façade of the Church of Sant Esteve (Saint Stephen)

View of the façade of the Church of Sant Esteve (Saint Stephen)

The church is the focal point of the section, to which the monastery is joined.

The building has undergone a complex evolution since its beginnings, and its origin dates back to a late Roman or possibly Visigothic temple from the 6th - 7th centuries. We know that the building was built and modified in the pre-Romanesque and Romanesque periods. The last Romanesque church was consecrated in 1086, and it was of large dimensions.

The present-day church maintains the same structure and alignment as the 11th-century temple, but it features practically no medieval elements. After a number of remodelling operations since the 15th century, the church now presents certain baroque apects.

The baroque embellishments of the façadeinclude the rose window and entrance, built in 1530. The tympanum featured what was possibly a more modern sculptural group, showing Sant Martirià, Sant Esteve and Sant Benet, which disappeared during the Spanish Civil War.

The bell tower is the most outstandingly visible element of the baroque monastery. The tower has an octagonal ground plan with openings surmounted  by pointed arches and a balustrade. The dome is a more modern construction.

The nave is covered by a vault with lunettes of extraordinary dimensions, while the transept still preserves the 11th-century Romanesque barrel vault.

OBJECTS

<p><span style="font-size: 8.5pt; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; background: white;">Detail of two scenes from the altarpiece, with the death and the Assumption of Mary (Baldiri Barat)</span></p>
Altarpiece of Our Lady of L’Es...
Altarpiece of Our Lady of L’Escala
scroll to top icon