Monastery of Sant Esteve de Banyoles

The abbots’ cemetery

Front image of the four sepulchres that make up the Carner dels abats

Front image of the four sepulchres that make up the Carner dels abats

The abbots’ cemetery or Carner dels abats is a complex of four abbatial tombs built into the east gallery wall of the cloister. From bottom to top, there are the tombs of Abbot Ricard, who died on May 10 1154; Abbot Hug, who died on  September 8 1172; Abbot Pere Benedict, who died on January 16 1196, and Abbot Guillem de Cartellà, who died on June 10 1252. Some of the sepulchres are signed by the stonemasons who sculptured them, such as Guillelmus de Garriganis (1196) and Marimon de Cigis (1252).

scroll to top icon