This panel is the centrepiece of the altarpiece of All Souls of the church of Santa Eulalia de Merida in L’Hospitalet. It was painted and gilded between 1604 and 1607.
The promoter of this work was Pau Oliver from L’Hospitalet, who left money in his will to make a new altarpiece. From the contract that is still preserved, we can deduce that the artist was Jaume Huguet II, (Jr.).
The museum’s working hypothesis is based on the existence of an altarpiece made up of this centrepiece, guarded by the Four Doctors of the Church on both sides and St Peter, who crowns the top.