Museum search

Godall Mountains Interpretation Centre

Bottle of Montecaro champagne

One of the last bottles of Montecaro champagne produced in Godall.

One of the last bottles of Montecaro champagne produced in Godall.

In the 1950s, some of the olive groves in the municipal districts of Godall, Ulldecona and La Galera were given over to vineyards, to take advantage of the soil quality of the lowlands. The grapes were used to make wine. In 1953 a local businessman and former soap manufacturer, C. Huerta, converted his business into a winery,  which continued to produce until approximately 1980. Huerta produced two brands of champagne, Montecaro and Pilatos, the latter of better quality. 

scroll to top icon