Museum search

Vic Episcopal Museum

Bridal chest

<p>Bridal chest, Perot Gasc&oacute; and his workshop, 1529-1546</p>

Bridal chest, Perot Gascó and his workshop, 1529-1546

This chest, with paintings from the workshop of the Gascó family, is one of the most remarkable examples of Catalan furniture from this period. We know that the couple who commissioned the chest were called Anna and Onofre, because these two saints are painted on the inside of the lid, while the inner panel of the door on the front has portraits of the couple. The coats of arms of the couple also form part of the decoration. The bridal chests, which received this name as they usually formed part of the dowry, were used to store clothes and other household items.

scroll to top icon