Museum search

Ter Museum

Fontaine turbine

<p>The factory motor, the Fontaine turbine, installed in 1860 by the company Planas</p>

The factory motor, the Fontaine turbine, installed in 1860 by the company Planas

Hydraulic devices like this were the spearheads of the process of industrialisation in inland Catalonia. Can Sanglas’s Fontaine turbine was the fifth from the Planas company of Gerona installed in Catalonia and one of the first hydraulic motors in Manlleu. Popularly called "got-a-perxa" (glass to hanger) among the turbine workers, with its 12 horsepower it drove the machine-spinning process. Now restored, it continues to work and powers the spinning machines through a system of busbars.

VIDEO

scroll to top icon