Museum search

Terres de l’Ebre Museum

Hand wheel to open and close the Right Canal sluice gates

<p>Hand wheel installed at the Xerta Weir in 1920 to open and close the Right Canal sluice gates</p>

Hand wheel installed at the Xerta Weir in 1920 to open and close the Right Canal sluice gates

The Right Canal allowed the irrigation of all the riverside land to the right of the Ebro, from the Xerta Weir to Buda Island. A three-hundred-kilometre-long irrigation and drainage system distributes water to the fields by means of 550 sluice gates. This particular wheel was used between 1920 and 1980 to open the sluice gates of the Xerta Irrigation Channel.

scroll to top icon