Museum search

Museum of La Noguera

Moulding corbels, from the church of Sant Domènec monastery

<p>Moulding corbels, from the church of the monastery of Sant Dom&egrave;nec, from the second half of the fourteenth century.</p>

Moulding corbels, from the church of the monastery of Sant Domènec, from the second half of the fourteenth century.

Moulding corbels, sculpted in wood and painted with tempera. Their sculpted finials are caricatures of human heads, painted, with two little points on the lower part and a species of volute, a spiral or snail-like adornment, on the upper part. A double corbel has been preserved, as well as ten simple ones. The corbels are the only remaining vestiges of the moulding from the church of the Sant Domènec monastery, whose building began in 1323, as ordained by the last will and testamentary Count Ermengol X of Urgell, who left a legacy to pay for it.

scroll to top icon