Museum search

Museum of the Empordà

Column shaft

<p>Column shaft by the Master of Cabestany (or his workshop), second third of the 12th century. Marble. 86 x 20.6 cm.</p>

Column shaft by the Master of Cabestany (or his workshop), second third of the 12th century. Marble. 86 x 20.6 cm.

This exhibit, which probably comes from the doorway of the church in the Sant Pere de Rodes monastery, was used for a long time to support the cross at Llançà cemetary. It features three capitals and other decorative ornaments from the monastery, which was abandoned in 1798 and plundered progressively from 1835. The delicate sculptural work combines undulating borders with floral motifs and animals (lions and birds), demonstrating the impressive artistic abilities of the sculptors.

scroll to top icon